Diefenbunker, Canada’s Cold War Museum
Take a guided tour of the site built to house the Canadian government and military in the event of a nuclear attack during the Cold War.
The Diefenbunker, located just west of Ottawa, was designed and built in secrecy during the height of the Cold War. This 9,290-square-metre (100,000-square-foot) bunker was meant to provide a safe haven for Canada’s government if nuclear war were to break out. The site was nicknamed after John Diefenbaker, who was prime minister when the government decided to build the bunker.
The Diefenbunker is now open to the public as a Cold War Museum and National Historic Site. During tours, students will
- walk down the Blast Tunnel and into the 1960s;
- see rooms such as the prime minister’s suite, the CBC Radio studio, the Bank of Canada vault and the Emergency Government Situation Centre;
- stand in the War Cabinet Room, where Canada’s emergency government would have made vital global decisions during a nuclear war; and
- participate in curriculum-based workshops on topics such as strong and stable structures, the continuity of government, and emergency preparedness.
|Curricula (Ontario and Quebec): Social Studies, Science and Technology, History, Politics, Citizenship, World Studies|
Grades 1 to 12 (Ontario)
|Guided tour||60 minutes or 90 minutes||$|
Grades 3 to 6 (Ontario)Elementary 3 to 6 (Quebec)
|Rex Zero Workshop||60–75 minutes||$|
|Grade 3 (Ontario)
Elementary 3 (Quebec)
|Strong and Stable Structures||75 minutes||$|
|Grades 9 to 12 (Ontario)
Secondary 3 to CEGEP 1 (Quebec)
|Continuity of Government||75 minutes||$|
Grades 9 to 12 (Ontario)
Book Your Visit
Let Canadian Heritage's Planning and Itinerary Service help you plan your Capital experience!
FREE information and booking services are available for each Capital education experience presented on this site.
Find Out More
For more information about programs at the Diefenbunker, Canada’s Cold War Museum, visit
- Diefenbunker Canada’s Cold War Website School Visit Section
- Diefenbunker Canada’s Cold War Website School - Project Rustic Section
- Diefenbunker Museum Flickr Site
3929 Carp Road, P.O. Box 466, Carp ON K0A 1L0
- Date modified: