Cultural Affairs Sector
Who We Are
The Cultural Affairs Sector's mandate: Towards a more creative Canada... confident in a world of choice
The Cultural Affairs Sector provides policy advice on current and emerging initiatives that shape cultural policy in Canada and provides financial support to creators, non-profit art organizations and cultural industries.
The Sector encourages the creation of diverse Canadian cultural expressions and helps ensure access to them.
The Cultural Affairs Sector employs approximately 322 employees.
Our Wide Range of Positions
- Economic and Investment Analyst
- Policy Development Officer
- Program Delivery Officer
- Research Analyst
- Statistical Data Analyst
- Strategic Planning Officer
- Project Manager
- Tax Credit Officer
- Strategic Event Coordinator
- Administrative and Financial Services
- Editor / Translator
Our Successes and Achievements
- Canadians across the country annually participate in close to 50,000 artistic experiences provided by funded arts presenters.
- Canada is a world leader in the development of video games, with close to $2B in estimated revenues in 2007 in this sector.
- Since the inception of the Canada Music Fund (2001), the market share of albums by Canadian artists sold in Canada increased 16.0% to 22.3% in 2006.
- In 2007-08, our foreign cultural investments resulted in employment creation across Canada, collaborative industry research projects, innovative artist development programs and increased visibility for Canadian cultural products.
- We played a key role in the introduction of Bill C59, which combats piracy by prohibiting the unauthorized recording of a movie in a movie theatre.
- We delivered the International Forum on the Creative Economy (2008), which attracted 200 delegates from across Canada and the world to discuss research in the contribution of the cultural sector to the economy.
- Over the past 10 years, the Canadian Television Fund has contributed $2.3B in funding to more than 4500 productions.
Great Reasons to Make your Career With Us
Interesting and stimulating tasks
The Cultural Affairs Sector focuses on policy, program and research activities - encompassing arts, books, copyright, investment review, periodicals, music, film, video, broadcasting and interactive digital media.
Making a difference
The Sector works with various arts and cultural industry stakeholders and plays an important role supporting the Government of Canada's commitment towards arts and culture.
in a Few Words...
What I enjoy most about working for the Cultural Affairs Sector are the people. They are friendly and professional. We work well together by supporting one another to accomplish our goals.
The Cultural Affairs Sector gives me a chance to discover wonderful people from whom I can learn every day. I enjoy the challenges and opportunities it offers, because they allow me to learn and advance my career.