Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or record keeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you may request alternative formats by contacting the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Athlete Assistance Program: Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
Table of Contents
- Section 1 : Program Overview
- Section 2 : Eligibility for AAP Support
- 2.1 Main Principles of Eligibility for AAP Support
- 2.2 Minimum Eligibility Requirements for NSOs
- 2.3 Minimum Eligibility Requirements for Athletes
- 2.4 Other Eligibility Considerations
What About Athletes Living Outside Canada?
What About Athletes Attending Foreign Post-Secondary Educational Institutions?
What if Athletes Are Under 18?
What if Non-carded Athletes Are Named to Olympic/Paralympic Teams?
What About Athletes in Sports Not Funded by Sport Canada?
What About Olympic Sports Where There Is No Women’s Event in the Games?
- Section 3 : NSO, Athlete and Sport Canada Responsibilities
- Section 4 : Allocating Cards to Eligible NSOs
- Section 5 : Carding Criteria
- 5.1 General Policy
- 5.2 Policies for Senior Cards
- 5.3 Policies for Development Cards
- 5.4 Special Considerations for Team Sports
Minimum Standards for Development Cards in Team Sports
The National Senior Team
Below the National Senior Team
Centralization of Development Card Athletes
- 5.5 Replacement Carding
- 5.6 Setting Criteria
- Section 6 : Application for and Approval of Cards
- 6.1 Procedures
- 6.1 Procedures
- Section 7 : Athlete/NSO Agreement
- Section 8 : Financial Benefits
- Section 9 : Illness, Injury or Pregnancy
- 9.1 Policy
- 9.2 Procedures
Short-term Curtailment of Training and Competition for Health-related Reasons
Long-term Curtailment of Training and Competition for Health-related Reasons
Failure to Meet Renewal Criteria for Health-related Reasons
Voluntary Withdrawal from Carded-Athlete Training and Competition for Health-related Reasons
- Section 10 : Voluntary Withdrawal from the AAP
- Section 11 : Withdrawal of Carded Status
- 11.1 Policy
- 11.2 Procedures
Failure to Meet Training or Competitive Commitments
Violation of the Athlete/NSO Agreement
The Athlete’s Failure to Meet Responsibilities Outlined in AAP Policies
Gross Breach of Discipline
Investigation for Cause
Anti-Doping Rule Violations
- Section 12 : Policy on Anti-doping and AAP Support
- Section 13 : Appeals Policy
- 13.1 Definitions
- 13.2 Policy Statement
Timing of Appeal
Requests for Appeal
Procedure for Documentary Appeal
Information that May be Considered
- 13.3 Recourse against a Decision of the Panel
- Annex A Model Athlete/NSO Agreement
- Annex B Training Expectations for Carded Athletes
To access the Portable Document Format (PDF) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
Please note that all saveable and fillable PDF forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8.1 or higher.
- Date modified :